I don’t know about you guys, but I’m terrified by fireworks. I normally hide under the hooman’s bed and refuse to come out until all the noise has died down. Here are a couple tips to keeping your pet safe and anxiety-free this July 4th.
- Keep your pet indoors. The best way to prevent your doggo from doing a dash is by keeping them safe and sound inside. Of course, this might not work with your plans, so…
- Be sure your pet has their ID tags on. If your furbaby decides to make a run for it, the Good Samaritan who hopefully finds them will be able to contact you quickly. If your pet is microchipped, make sure your contact info in the microchip registry is up to date.
- Keep sparklers, firecrackers, glow sticks, and other potentially dangerous props away from your pet.
- Keep your pet hydrated. It can be hot in these summer months, so be sure your pet has access to plenty of water and has shade or a cool place to rest. Be aware of any signs of dehydration and overheating.
- If attending a party or barbecue be aware of dropped food and table scraps. Not all human food is safe for dogs, so be sure your doggo isn’t getting their paws on toxic foods.
- Consider a thunder shirt or a snug fitting shirt. I have a thunder shirt I wear sometimes. The constant pressure of a shirt provides comfort, much like swaddling a tiny hooman.
- There are also many treats out there that claim to calm dogs down if you are interested in taking that route. Just like hoomans, certain natural scents have a calming effect, like lavender and chamomile.
Stay safe out there this holiday furriends!